Saturday, January 29, 2011

COMIC BOOK DAY!

























Every six weeks I take the long drive in my rickety Freakenstein monster-mobile to my favorite comic book specialty shop: New England Comics. I have frequented the Quincy store for over 25 years and I have remained a loyal customer all this time. Because of the nasty New England snow storms we’ve been having this winter; it has been eight weeks since I picked up the comics on my subscription – or pull list as you young punks like to call it. I’ve mentioned in this blog that I read a lot of comics, but I thought I’d list all the comics that I bought in this eight week period to give you an idea of what genre and type of wicked cool comics that I’m currently reading.

DECEMBER 8TH
B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth: New World #5 - This is the last issue of this story arc of the Hellboy spin off series.
Mystery Society #5 – This is the last issue of the first series of stories about the occult group written by Steve Niles with cool anime-style artwork by Fiona Staples.
Spike #3 – Spike finally got his own regular spin off series from Angel and it’s a good one!

DECEMBER 15TH
Angel #40 – IDW’s Angel has gone downhill even further with deplorable art by Jason Armstrong.
Conan: The Road of Kings #1 – This latest new start to the Conan monthly by Dark Horse has the triumphant return of Roy Thomas to the scripting chores!
Doc Macabre #1 – A crank spin off of the Niles-Wrightson IDW title The Ghoul!
The Occultist one shot – An interesting and more realistic look at what happens when an ordinary joe becomes possessed by a powerful book of spells.
Time Bomb #3 – The final issue of the time travel sci-fi spy comic from the writing team of Palmiotti-Gray and the masterful artwork of Paul Gulacy.

DECEMBER 29TH
Hellboy: Sleeping & Dead #1 – A new Hellboy miniseries written by creator Mike Mignola and first time Hellboy artist Scott Hampton.

JANUARY 5TH
Edge of Doom #3 – Another horror story in this horror anthology comic by Steve Niles and Kelly Jones.
I, Zombie #9 – The continuing story of the zombie Gwen Dylan and her weird friends.
Doc Macabre #2

JANUARY 12TH
BPRD: Hell on Earth: Gods #1 – A new series with the same great writer-artist team of Mignola-Arcudi and Davis.
Spike #4

JANUARY 19TH
Buffy The Vampire Slayer #40 – The final issue of “season eight” of Buffy, written by creator Joss Whedon with (unfortunately) artwork by George Jeanty. For fans of the TV show like myself, this comic has been very inconsistent. But when it has been good, it has compared favorably with the TV series.

JANUARY 26TH
Angel #41
Conan: The Road of Kings #2
Angel Illyria #3 – Another Angel spin off and a fair look at the daemon Illyria.

As you can see I read numerous horror comics, with a sprinkling of sf and fantasy comics. I would read more sf comics, but there are not as many published currently as horror comics. I’d read even more fantasy comics, but they don’t seem to publish the type of sword and sorcery or urban fantasy that I prefer. I’ll try to keep up to date on my comics purchases and point out my favorites when they come out. Do yourself a favor and take a trip to your own local comics shop and tell them “Doc” Freakenstein sent ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment