Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Many people go out on New Year’s Eve, to go dancing, drinking and generally make public spectacles of themselves. While in my youth, I may have indulged in such frivolities, I now spend New Year’s Eve at home with family and friends. Nearly every year since 1985, our local UHF TV channel 38 has run a Three Stooges Marathon. I have decorated my home in a Three Stooges motif and watched the classic shorts with family and friends, while enjoying good food, drink and company. This year was no exception! Not only were we able to watch channel 38’s “Best Stooges Episodes” marathon, but we also watched many of the Stooges shorts on IFC as well. Whatever your New Year’s Eve traditions are, I hope you all celebrated it with your closest family and friends!
This will be my third year posting on GUARDIANS OF THE GENRE! and I think the new year is a good time to start fresh with some new ideas. While I have spent most of my time for the past two years on this blog reviewing movies, TV programs, books and comics in my three favorite genres, I have also shared some of my other guilty pleasures as well; such as horror hosts, podcasts and filking. I have also continued to post videos of mine and other genre guardians’ Television appearances and related hosting gigs, which I’ve dug out of my personal video tape archives. While I plan on continuing to post entries on all these things, I will be trying to expand on the amount and variety of material that I’m interested in.
Because I have full-time employment that takes up the majority of my time during the weekdays, I usually only have time for short posts during that time and save my more detailed posts for weekends or holidays and vacations. I’d like to increase my output, but because my other genre guardians are not nearly as prolific as myself (yes, I’m referring you to Phileas, Maniac and even you Bones) I’ve decided to use a grading system on all my reviews from now on and not go into too much detail on them, other than to give my opinion of them. I also will be breaking with my standard of not reviewing anything that I didn’t like or enjoy. While I still prefer to write and read positive reviews of things, I do think constructively written critical reviews serve a purpose as well. So starting in 2012 I will be writing about the good, the mediocre and the bad in my three favorite genres. I hope that by doing this, I will be able to share with you even more of the things that I love about Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror.
I’m looking forward to a new and wicked cool year of GUARDIANS OF THE GENRE! and I hope you are too!

2 comments:

  1. All the best in 2012 my friend. Look forward to it. SFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Sci-Fi Fanatic!

    I can’t compete with you and JKM in depth of coverage, but I do hope to at least relate – however briefly – my opinions on all the various media in the three genres that are my passion!

    ReplyDelete