Sunday, October 24, 2010

BALTIMORE, OR THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER AND THE VAMPIRE

BALTIMORE,
OR THE STEADFAST TIN SOLDIER AND THE VAMPIRE
MIKE MIGNOLA AND CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN
CREATED A GOTHIC HORROR CLASSIC!


Despite being a huge Hellboy fan, I admit I passed on buying or reading Baltimore when it was first published in 2007. However, after buying the new comic sequel to the novel, I had to give it a go. Fortunately, the local library had a copy and I was able to read it before the comics. I was glad I gave Baltimore a try. This Gothic horror vampire novel is not a complete departure from Mignola’s Hellboy stories. However, the 19th Century story telling technique of relating each story from the point-of-view of a different character telling the tale to each other, is at first distracting; but eventually it won me over as it created the atmosphere of the time in which Baltimore was meant to take place. If I have any complaint about this novel is because of the format. It reads more like a series of short stories. Also, the middle section of the book spends a little too much time telling the stories of each of the supporting characters. However, the final part on the book that features Lord Baltimore confronting the evil that transformed his life was truly mesmerizing. Baltimore is also filled with wonderful black and white illustrations by Mike Mignola that help to set the tone of the prose as well.

The current five issue series, Baltimore, the Plague of ships is a direct sequel to the novel. It is co-written by Mignola and Golden and features moody artwork by Ben Stenbeck that captures the feel of early 20th Century illustrations. I recommend both the novel and the comics for fans of turn of the century literature and horror. Hmmm... I think even that old zombie windbag Zombzany would like Baltimore. I think I'll get Bill E. Bones to leave a copy of the comic in his crypt.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations. I saw the new series, but wasn't familiar. I'll have to check 'em all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first three issues of Baltimore: The Plague of Ships are already out. There will be five issues total in the mini-series. You may be better severed buying the trade collection, which I’m sure will be forthcoming from Dark Horse early next year. Also, now that I’ve read the first three issues, I can safely say that you don’t need to have read the Baltimore novel to understand the motivations or back-story of the character. Issue two of Plague of Ships includes a very good flashback to Lord Baltimore’s first encounter with vampires.

    ReplyDelete